Thursday, March 12, 2020

Two for me, One for you by Jörg Mühle

On her way home, Bear found three mushrooms.
Weasel was very excited. He wiped the mushrooms, seared them, seasoned them with plenty of salt and pepper, and let them simmer in the frying pan with a little parsley.



It all sounds so perfect. Bear and Weasel can sit down for a delicious mushroom dinner. But wait have you spotted the mathematical dilemma.  There are three mushrooms but only two diners.


Let the arguments begin!

Bear - I'm big I need to eat a lot
Weasel - I'm small, and I still have to grow
Bear - I found the mushrooms
Weasel - I cooked them, I did all the work
Bear - It was my recipe
Weasel - I am so hungry you can hear my tummy grumbling

The pair are so engrossed with their argument, which turns quite nasty, that they fail to see the sneaky fox. He lunges forward and grabs one mushroom. Problem solved - bon appetit.

Now for dessert - wild strawberries. Oh no there are three on the plate!

Every young child, and perhaps every adult too, needs to read a story about sharing and this one is perfect.  This is also a book teachers could use when they explore the idea of persuasion.

This book was originally published in German.  Well done again to Gecko Press for bringing us another translated picture book to read and treasure.


Comic timing combined with droll mixed media scenes of the escalating situation (I love the forest setting with the kitchen set-up) make for a fun way to introduce youngsters to the notion of sharing: how might they solve the‘afters’ issue? Red Reading Hub



Another book with a similar theme is where friends need to work out differences is A letter for Tiger by Janosch. Take a look here for some other picture books about sharing.

Jörg Mühle is the illustrator of Meet me at the Ark at Eight - a book I really enjoyed.

No comments: