Sunday, July 26, 2020

Running on the Roof of the World by Jess Butterworth



Rule One: Don't run in front of a solider
Rule Two: Never look at a soldier
Rule Three: Say as little as possible

Tash and her friend Sam live in Tibet where is is dangerous to mention anything cultural and everything connected with their beloved Dalai Lama (including the two words Dalai Lama) is banned. When Tash's father is arrested, Tash decides she must make the long and dangerous journey from Tibet to India to seek help from the Dalai Lama.

"I remember the photograph of the Dalai Lama. I slip my fingers into my pocket and feel it filling me with strength. I pull it out and stare at his happy face. I have to do something to help. ... The Dalai Lama stares back at me. If there's one person who could know what to do, it's him. He's my glimmer of hope."

Sam is Tash's friend. He won't let her travel alone. So they quickly gather supplies and load them onto the back of two yaks. Winter is coming. Time is short. The soldiers are following. And making things even more dangerous, Tash is carrying a letter (in code) and some newspapers written by her father who is working for the resistance. If these things are found Tash (and her parents) are sure to be put in jail.

The fifty-five chapters are framed with mandala's which you almost want to colour in.  I also liked the chapter headings which gave the story a sense of urgency:  Rules, Crowd, Flames, Stories, Run, Vulture, Pursuit, Glaciers.

Listen to an audio sample here. Small plot warning - near the beginning of the story Tash watches as a man sets himself on fire in an act of self-immolation. This may distress some younger readers.

I really wanted to adore this book but oddly, while it did hold my interest, I cannot give this book five stars. I think the cover (by Bob Biddulph) is excellent and the inside graphics are decorative but I was not quite so convinced about the story I think because the final meeting with the Dalai Lama did not match my hopes (I felt so let down). I do not want to discourage you from reading Running on the Roof of the World because I know everyone reads books in different ways and there is plenty to enjoy and learn from this book.

In the March, 2009 issue of Magpies Magazine Rayma Turton explores this idea. She gives the book Darius Bell and the Glitter Pool to two (unnamed) reviewers. Both reviewers enjoyed this book but both approach their reviews in quite different ways.

Reviewer One "This is vintage Hirsch, with its quirky, well-rounded characters and subtle humour.... Darius and Cyrus's fraternal sparring is accurate as well as funny ... "
Reviewer Two "The strength of Hirsch's writing lies in his control of narrative. A world is created, characters are introduced and well-detailed events progress methodically. ... What saves this book from being completely bloodless is the relationship between Darius and his brother Cyrus."

Now let's look at some contrasting review comments about Running on the roof of the world. Each of these reviews will also give you more plot details.







Here is the US Cover:


I would pair this book with The Lost stone of Skycity:


When you loan this book to a reader in a library it would be good to give them one or two of these:




No comments: