Thursday, September 3, 2020

Red Wagon by Renata Liwska


"A winner" Kirkus Star review

A small wagon can be a wagon travelling to the wild west; or a small caravan; or a boat to ride the wild seas; or the carriage on a steam train; or even a space rocket! It's a long way to the market. Lucy has an errand to complete for her mother but along the way she sure has fun with all her friends. 

I went looking for books illustrated by Renata Liwska last week. I love her soft illustrations of toy-like animals such as the fox, hedgehog, squirrel, rabbit and raccoon.  I first saw her work in the book series The Quiet Book; The Loud Book and Once upon a memory.

The bonus with my discovery of Red Wagon is finding another delightful book for very young children about the power of imaginative play. I was also delighted to discover Renata lives in Canada - in Calgary. She was born in Poland. Here are some of her illustrations. In this interview she talks about her technique. One more thing - the last Wednesday in March is National Red Wagon Day! In 2021 the date will be 31st March.  I need to find some more books about little red wagons and imaginative play. You can read about their history here.

I discovered some other titles illustrated by Renata Liwska:




No comments: