Saturday, September 5, 2020

The Curious Garden by Peter Brown



This story opens with a city scene that may remind you of The Lost Thing by Shaun Tan.



Liam is curious and adventurous. He loves to explore his city. One day he stumbles upon an old set of railway tracks. The area is desolate except for one small patch of colour. Some plants have taken root among the old tracks but the plants, like the tracks, look neglected. Liam is a boy of action. He decides to help the plants even though he knows nothing about gardening. Over the coming weeks Liam's garden grows and expands. Liam works through spring, summer and autumn. In the winter his garden is covered with snow but he keeps on working reading about plants and collecting tools. Over the coming seasons the garden begins to spread out into the city. The garden itself is curious about the other old and forgotten parts of the city. "But the most surprising things that popped up were the new gardeners."

This book has brilliant end papers. The opening ones have rough stones on a grey background but if you look closely in the far corner a tiny "pond" of green is creeping in. The final end papers are a riot of bright green with tiny meadow flowers. The look like tiny light bulbs. It also good to notice the gradual clearing of the air and the absence of smoking chimneys in the final scene where we see Liam is now an adult visiting the garden with his own children.

A couple of weeks ago the teacher working in a school library where I do some volunteer work asked me for texts to link with The Curious Garden. I have mentioned this inspirational book in a few previous posts but I realised I had not directly talked about it - given this book a starring role on its own post!

The beauty of the city is still here, but it’s the beauty that comes when the man made mixes and melds with nature. Railway lines into long gardens. Rooftops sporting treetops. Ivy curling up chipped paint and abandoned walls. SLJ Elizabeth Bird

In 2012 I visited the Highline in New York City.  I loved it so much that I went along various sections over a couple of days. The idea of making a garden in the city over the old rail tracks really appeals to me. And I love the way this area is embraced by the local residents.


The Curious Garden was first published in 2009 but I am happy to report it is still available. I wonder why a paperback edition has not be printed?

Here are some books to link with The Curious Garden. Previously I explored some terrific books about Gardens and Gardeners.  I also have a Pinterest of Sustainability picture books and another about trees and urban renewal.




No comments: