Saturday, November 14, 2020

My favorite memories by Sepideh Sarihi illustraiton by Julie Völk translated by Elisabeth Lauffer

 

"They gave me a suitcase, so I could pack. 

Mama said I could only take my most favorite things"

Publisher blurb: A young girl is moving to a new country and there is so much that she wants to bring: an aquarium, a pear tree, her best friend, the ocean. As she moves through the list of the things she loves she comes to understand that while we cannot always carry things with us physically - maybe they can travel with us in other ways. Blue Dot Kids Press

This is a book you can share with a young child as a way to talk about change - big changes like moving to a new house or country or even small changes.

A charming tale exploring themes of change, migration, and resilience told from a child’s point of view. Kirkus

My favorite memories memories was originally published in Germany with the title Meine liebsten Dinge müssen mit. The author Sepideh Sarihi was born in Iran and now lives in Germany. Julie Völk is from Austria. My Favourite Memories was the winner of the 2020 BolognaRagazzi Award. Take a look at this film made for Bologna.

Here is another recent book translated into English and illustrated by Julie Volk. 


I was working a school library towards the end of last year when a parent came in requesting Picture books about moving to a different country to share with her young child. As a result of this conversation I started a Pinterest of titles on this topic

No comments: