Friday, December 24, 2021

Christmas is coming to Australia try an ABC book for fun




B is for beach; I is for ice-cream; K is for koalas kissing; and P is for pavolva.





Last week I visited a large city bookstore (because they were offering a good discount on all purchases) and I spied The Aussie ABC Christmas.  This is not a new book, it was published in 2018, but I had not seen it and because I am starting to collect Alphabet books in preparation for an IBBY talk with Dr Robin Morrow early in 2022 I decided it to add it to my own Christmas book collection. 

Perhaps if you read this book with a young child you could begin by trying to guess some of the possible word choices for your favourite letters.  I like the letters M and L and E and C.  My guesses would be mince pies; laughter; excitement; and candy canes. Of course I was wrong. The Aussie ABC Christmas has M for milk; L for lights; E for emu; and C for carols.

Inside this book you will also find a frilled necked lizard; two kangaroos; kookaburras laughing in a gum tree; a hills hoist clothes line; the Sydney Opera House; and a gum leaf wreath. 

You can read more about this book on the blog  - The Bottom Shelf. My own favourite Christmas alphabet book is the one by Robert Sabuda (sadly out of print). You can see the pages here

No comments: