Monday, December 13, 2021

Saving Celeste by Timothée de Fombelle translated by Sarah Ardizzone



Our young narrator meets a girl in the lift. She arrives in his class. She sits in the seat right next to him. Her name is Celeste. They have never spoken but well, it's love at first sight. The next day, Celeste does not arrive at school. 

"There, lying on the floor, shivering, her face pocked by a series of small marks, her arms and legs covered in bandages, Celeste was watching me."

Timothee de Fombelle gives his reader fragments of information about the world of this book. Please note the use of "!" in the place names:

"My address was !mmencity Tower, which was two blocks away from school. Every day at three-thirty, I'd leave school, take the three walkways down to Level 100, then cross and catch the lift up forty floors to reach home."

"You see, my mum was never, ever there. You could tell she was one of the bosses at !ndustry (a big cheese, as they say) by her hairstyle alone. She worked all hours, and she was always travelling. I saw her once a month in the office waiting room."

"No one knew where she (Celeste) had come from before. Just that she and her parents were now living on top of Tower 330. Tower 330 is the car-park tower in the Glass District, where the cars are stacked vertically like books on shelves. ... Three hundred levels chock-a-block with cars arranged vertically."

I really cannot tell you much more. The boy must find Celeste but when he does things spin in directions you will never, never, never predict. 

Today I was meeting friends for lunch in a local restaurant.  I had an hour to spare so I thought I might begin Saving Celeste which arrived in my latest book package. In just under one hour I finished Saving Celeste and now I am going to say this is my book of the month! Perhaps even my book of the year!

Saving Celeste was originally written in French in 2009 with the title Celeste ma planete



In 2021 Sarah Ardizzone translated this wonderful book for Walker UK.  I guess with only 114 pages this book should be called a novella. Can I suggest (loudly) that you add this book to your shopping list. Here is the ISBN you could use with your favourite book supplier 9781406397192. I gave this book five stars but I would like to add more. You can read the publisher blur (Walker Books) here but be warned it contains spoilers so I suggest you leave this for now and JUST READ this book (please). Highly recommended for readers aged 11+.  If you speak French you can hear the first chapter here


What will happen to Celeste? Will the narrator manage to save her?
It's up to everyone to find out! I can just say that the strength of the narrator's love seems capable of anything. And to tell the truth, I am too much in love with my heroines, I am incapable of not saving them. Timothée

If I see the name Timothée de Frombelle I am certain I will be in for a reading treat.  I absolutely adored Toby Alone and Captain Rosalie.




No comments: