Thursday, March 2, 2023

No Longer Alone by Joseph Coelho illustrated by Robyn Wilson-Owen




There are three little girls on the cover of this book - can you tell which one feels alone? Can you guess why she feels this way? 

This book is a gentle exploration of loss and grief. It was published in 2019 and I think it should be added to all Primary school library collections. The library I visit each week have shelved this with parent reference books but I do think it could be added to your general collection. 

Mum has obviously died but this is not stated anywhere in the story we just know the little girl narrator is acting differently, she is sad and confused. Others do observe her new behavious this but they don't seem to understand. Finally her beautiful father sits down with the little girl and we see all the family photos on the wall behind their lounge and as readers we begin to understand what may have happened.

"Dad says ... 'Try to be the old you, the get-up-an-go you. The loud-and-active you, the happy you, the you, you used to be.'"

"I tell him how I don't feel myself right now, how I feel different, like someone else. I tell him all the things that are worrying me, upsetting me, making me feel alone. And he listens ... like the sun listens to leaves, like the ocean listens to raindrops, like the stars listen to the glide of their plants. And right NOW starts to feel different."

Bookseller blurb: A new picture book from award-winning performance poet, Joseph Coelho. This touching picture book subtly deals with big emotions such as loss, with an uplifting and hopeful message about being yourself and the importance of family and talking about worries. Told through the voice of a little girl who is labelled as quiet and shy, No Longer Alone follows her tumult of emotions as she navigates the world around her. But when she finally shares her feelings and tells her Dad all the things that are worrying her, she no longer feels so alone. Joseph's warm, authentic voice offers an insightful take on the way children feel and how they perceive the world and it's perfectly complimented by gorgeous artwork from talented new illustrator, Robyn Wilson-Owen.

Now take at the UK cover for this book - which one do you prefer?


I have talked about another book by Joseph Coelho:




No comments: