Wednesday, March 22, 2023

This Book is not a Present by Max Greenfield illustrated by Mike Lowery





I have put the covers of three books by Max Greenfield and Mike Lowery here - the first one is I Don't want to Read this Book (2021) but I actually borrowed the second one - This Book is not a Present (2022) from a library. The third title will be published later this year.

This set of books could be added to your tool kit if you are a casual or relief teacher. I think children from Grades 2-4 will enjoy the clever, direct dialogue and the funny cheeky comments by the narrator. Class teachers could also gather the books I list below and perhaps share one each week with a class. Here is a text sample from This Book is not a Present:

"How long is this book anyway? How many pages have I read so far? This better not be a chapter book. If this book is a chapter book I'm going to absolutely explode! I mean what type of person gives another person a chapter book and calls it a present!?"

When you turn the page you will encounter Chapter Two!! And of course the crazy narrator, despite his or her best intentions, does end up reading the whole book even though it should never have been given as a present. 

Children in my former school library loved The Book with No Pictures and Do not open this book. These three books by Max Greenfield neatly genre of books that "break the fourth wall".  Here are a few others:













Not related to the topic of books and reading my own favourite book that was perhaps the first one I encountered that broke the fourth wall was this one:



I also adore sharing these two books by Anthony Browne:




No comments: