Monday, September 11, 2023

Don't be afraid little one by Caroline Pitcher illustrated by Jane Chapman

 


"One moonlit night, while the wind raged and the rain drummed on the stable roof, a mare had her foal."

The new foal has so many questions - what is the wind, will my mother run outside over the hills with me, and of course the big one - what are questions. With the coming of Spring it is time for the foal to venture outside but he is afraid. Finally the day comes and the foal goes out into the field. They have a wonderful day together but then night falls the foal is afraid. He survives the night and more time passes. Finally, his mother goes back to work giving rides to young children and the foal is left alone for the whole day. 

"The foal jumped and ran and bucked and chased and flicked his little black tail. He played with the wind all morning."

I guess I need to start by saying sadly this book first published in 1998 is long out of print but you might be lucky and find a copy in a library. That's where I found my copy and it is in mint condition so no child or parent would think of this an 'old' book. Young children who love horses always request books, so I am happy to add this to my Pinterest collection

The library I visit each week are reviewing books that have low borrowing rates. This book has not been borrowed since 2012 but it is a book I would most certainly keep in the library. The cover is very appealing so I am sure if this book was put out on a display it will be borrowed by young horse fans and also parents looking for a reassuring story about change and courage and growing up. 

Here are some other books by UK author Caroline Pilcher:





No comments: