Sunday, September 24, 2023

If I was a Banana by Alexandra Tylee illustrated by Kieran Rynhart


It would such fun to tell your class - 'tomorrow we will read a book called If I was a Banana'.  I can hear the giggles and gasps.



Here are a few text quotes:

"If I was a ladybug, I don't know how I would feel. To be that small could be a little frightening. And then, who knows, maybe I would be a very brave, bright ladyybug, and fly very high without a care in the world."

"If I was an elephant, I think I would have to be very careful where I put my feet. I guess you would get used to that."

This is another terrific book from Gecko Press (New Zealand).  It was published in 2016 but back then Scholastic Australia were the agents for Gecko and many of their titles were included in their International Titles standing order so I am hoping that this book might be found in your local or school library. It is also on the NSW Premiers Reading Challenge (K-2 code 8426).

I can see from the copy I borrowed from a library that this has been a popular title. Since it arrived in the library (they use date due slips) between 2017 and 2023 it has been borrowed 30 times. That is especially amazing when I tell you this book is shelved with other books about Philosophy at Dewey [100]. This library for students aged 4-7 so I don't imagine they regularly browse the nonfiction shelves - especially not the philosophy section. Another terrific thing about this book is the way the Teacher-Librarian has labelled her books with Sustainable Development Goals.  She has put the sticker for #5 - gender equity on this book. I am in awe of the work ethic of this Teacher-Librarian - she has put a huge amount of effort into labelling books in her library with stickers for each of the 17 goals. 


Drawn in a mostly realistic style with occasional touches of anthropomorphic exaggeration, the illustrations appear to have been created in pencil and oil pastel. Multiple sizes, from vignettes to double-page spreads, and unusual perspectives provide interest and rhythm. Rich textures and muted colors add to the dreamy quality of the text, which has a thoughtful, reflective tone throughout. Kirkus

This lovely exercise in imagination would be a brilliant classroom project for young writers, with lots of room for inventive art activities, too. Beautiful production and thick creamy paper gives the book a nice 'gifty' feel too, so it's perfect for special birthdays or christenings to keep and cherish. At home, it will make an ideal bedtime read, sparking conversation while being calm and dreamy enough to lull little ones to sleep. Book Trust

Alexandra Tylee and Kieran Rynhart are both from New Zealand. You can see the art from this book here

Companion books:













No comments: