Sunday, September 3, 2023

Out of the Wild Night by Blue Balliett


"These old houses were built to survive, and their materials actually last longer and adapt better than most modern materials. An old wooden house expands and shrinks, it understands how to be 
moist and then dry without damage, it breathes."

"As long as the settled landscape of an old house remains, we spirits, those of us whose lives were anchored in its walls and floors, who were born, gave birth, and died inside them, can stay. 
As can our dreams."

Beautiful old homes are being knocked down all over Nantucket. This has stirred up the ghosts. The developer is like a vulture waiting for older residents die or move out of the homes. He promises to keep all the heritage features but in truth he just knocks everything down and throws away all the beautiful timbers and fixtures. A group of young children, who are islanders, are dismayed to see all this destruction and one of the ghosts - Mary Chase, who has been dead over 100 years has woken up. She can see what is happening now in the 21st Century. She is frustrated, though, because no one on the island can hear her. The children can however see other ghosts of people and children from long ago. The children have always played at the graveyard and so they are familiar with the names of children from long ago. The island ghosts begin to take action by sabotaging the building works and frightening the workers and officials. But can these beautiful old homes be saved in time and will this help the ghosts to settle back into their graves?

Here are some real Nantucket homes:



It did take me nearly a week to read this book and it won't feature as my favourite by Blue Balliett but the premise and relationships between the children and several of the adults held my attention. Best of all the ending was a huge shock. By coincidence, while I was reading this book, I watched as a sweet little mid-century modern home was demolished just around the corner from my house so some parts of this story were extra poignant.

"Sorry house. I should have asked. I'm Phoebe Folger Antoine (Phee). I live inside the home in your picture, and my family always has. Can I take this and keep it safe? I promise I'll hang it right up.' The door blows back open, and a yellow-handled screwdriver rolls across the floor, stopping in front of the group. The kids stand quietly for a moment, looking at it. 'I think that's a yes ... and may be the house wants us to replace the old front door before we go."

Publisher blurb: Ghosts are alive on the island of Nantucket. You can hear them in the wind, and in the creaks of the old homes. They want to be remembered. And, even more, they want to protect what was once theirs. The ghosts seem to have chosen a few local kids to be their messengers -- and to help save the island. But in this mystery, the line between those who haunt and those who are haunted is a thin one -- and the past and the present must come to terms with one another in order to secure the future.

About 14,000 people live on the island of Nantucket. It is off the coast of Massachusetts. It is a very popular destination with tourists and the population grows to 40,000 in the Summer. In the early days the main industry was whaling. 


Blue Balliett says: I first came to Nantucket as a summer worker at age 18 and fell under the spell of this magical island. I married my husband Bill on Nantucket a few years later, and we’ve lived and worked here, off and on, for many decades. Two of our three kids were born here. I’ve heard many, many ‘real’ ghost stories… and finally, after writing six mysteries set in the Chicago area and published by Scholastic Press, got brave and wild enough to write Out of the Wild Night… It’s my love poem to this extraordinary, unique island and its year-round community, its oldest houses, and their ghosts.

Modern themes and old-fashioned values in a ghostly Nantucket wonder, with a twist. Kirkus Star review

Ms. Balliett kept me captivated, guessing…and second guessing, in this Middle-Grade, ghost-story mystery. Easily evident is her admiration and adoration of Nantucket and I enjoyed learning about the island and its people. Buried Under Books

When you finish this book, you will want to go back and reread chapter 3 (or listen to the audio sample below). You will also want to grab some wonders or donuts to celebrate solving this mystery. This book was published in 2018 and the paperback is still available.

Listen to an audio sample here

I have read and loved other books by Blue Balliett so when I spied this book (hardcover with a dust jacket) at a recent charity book sale for just $3 I grabbed it with both hands.



Companion book:



No comments: