Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Breathing Underwater by Sarah Allen


In September last year I compiled a blog post with the title "This book made me cry". I listed books I had read (and cried over) and also books that other people suggested on Facebook.  One of the books suggested by someone was Breathing Underwater.  This is moving story but it didn't make me cry. I found the plot a little repetitive and the ending was more or less predicable. 

This book was one of my mystery bargain purchases. Why was this book so cheap? One of our big bookstore chain stores has been culling their shelves. Originally this book was priced at AUS$23 and it was added to the store in August, 2022. I paid AUS$5 in July, 2023. 

Publisher blurb: Olivia is on the cross-country road trip of her dreams, complete with her favourite aunt and uncle, National Geographic magazines, and her big sister, Ruth. Once they reach San Diego, they have a plan to uncover a time capsule they buried when they moved away three years ago. Olivia can't wait to take pictures of the sights, adventures, and memories—but what she wants most is to make her sister happy again. Ruth has depression, and it seems to Olivia, who knows Ruth's signs, that things are getting worse. But as the road winds on and they get closer to their old home, she'll realise that love, not fixing, is all she can give. Breathing Underwater is the second novel from Sarah Allen, a big-hearted exploration of sisterhood, dreams, and what it means to be there for someone you love.

Olivia's sister Ruth is clearly very unwell so it seemed strange to me that she is sent on this road trip with her relatives and sister. No one seems to put much effort into talking to Ruth or making sure she is eating. Olivia is very young but at times her voice and naive outlook actually annoyed me. I did like the way she used her camera to record the tiny moments from their trip but I needed more background information about their time capsule. Why they buried it, what it contained and where? I did relate to Olivia's need to heal her sister and her anxious monitoring of her sister's mood but this book just didn't grab me.  Kirkus disagree - their reviewer enjoyed the voice of Olivia and the sisters heartfelt relationship. 

Here is an interview with Sarah Allen where she talks about Breathing Underwater.

This is another book where a young girl has to cope with the mental illness of their sibling. 


Everywhere Blue (Verse novel)

No comments: