Monday, July 10, 2023

Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge - the play

 



For me, the most important theme in the show is that of friendship, and how important it is for our young people to have friends from all generations in life, to help them learn and develop, and how in turn children can brighten and bring joy to the lives of our elders. 
Anna Hedley ACO Producer

Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge by Mem Fox illustrated by Julie Vivas holds a very special place in my heart. When I saw our Australian Chamber Orchestra were performing this as a play with on-stage live music I knew it would be completely splendid. Even now, hours later, I am smiling. 

Adapting a 32 page picture book into a 40 minute play is no mean feat. Well done to the playwright - Sandra Eldridge.  Our performance was actually the 50th time this play has been performed. Every part of this play is so carefully crafted. A perfect blend of pathos and humour. And such a talented cast - juggling, singing, dancing, seamless use of props, and even a cartwheel or two.

Here is a trailer for the ACO show (with a different lead actress).  I loved the way the actors interacted with the string group (2 violins, 1 viola and 1 cello), two of the musicians even played small roles of mum and dad and the way the musicians all wore slippers. Here is an interview with the cast.


Wilfrid collects all the memories - warm, happy, sad, something from long ago and something more precious than gold. I was so moved that I actually cried when he opened the war medals from his grand father - remember this is a short play for children - the emotions are SO powerful. The actress who played Miss Nancy also took the parts of all the nursing home residents - just a small change of hat, coat or huge trousers and every child could see each of these characters. 


As a kid I have vivid memories of shows I saw that excited and astonished me, and those shows taught me so much and gave me so many things that I cherish to this day. If even one child leaves with a grin on their face and a pep in their step, I know I’ve done something truly amazing! Joshua Reckless (Wilfrid)

This delightful production, based on the poignant picture book by Mem Fox and Julie Vivas and directed by Sandra Eldridge, weaves together captivating storytelling with mesmerising music in an immersive and intimate performance. Featuring a new score by award-winning composer Paul Stanhope performed by a string quartet from the Australian Chamber Orchestra, Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge is the perfect introduction to live classical music, guaranteed to enchant audiences both young and old.

In my view it is so important to share live theatre with children of all ages. In recent years Iive enjoyed The Snail and the Whale (Julia Donaldson); The Tiger who came to Tea (Judith Kerr); Are we there yet? (Alison Lester); Emil and the Detectives (Erich Kastner) and The Little Match Girl.  Many years ago I saw a wonderful production of Bill's New Frock (Anne Fine).  Bravo to the ACO, the Sydney Opera House and Parramatta Riverside. Keep these shows coming (please). 

I am excited to see two more productions the the Australian Chamber Orchestra later this year - The Princess and the Pea (the brave escape) and The Nutcracker. Pop these on your diary now. 


No comments: