Monday, July 3, 2023

NCACL Picture Books for Older Readers part 2

 


I talked about this splendid new database - YES it is FREE - a couple of days ago. Thinking about the wonderful books - 240+ of them - I thought I might explore some of the subjects. Happily they are not restricted to "English Syllabus concepts". 

Here are some examples - one for each letter of the alphabet. There are of course lots more subjects to explore.  I have put one book as an example of each but when you explore the database you will find so many more titles to share with your students or to simply recommend to a reader. 

I hope my examples will show you the depth and range of books and subjects in the database. On my side bar I have the heading Senior Picture Book - click this to discover even more titles (Australian and International). 

Asylum Seekers



Betrayal



Compassion


Finding You (note comment by the author on my post)

Dystopian Fiction



Emotions



Friendship



Generosity



Humour


Identity



Joy


Kindness


Libraries


Music



Natural disasters


Orphans



Perspective


Refugees



Sharing



Travel


Wordless Picture Books


I am giving the picture book master Shaun Tan the last word:

This is perhaps what reading and visual literacy are all about - and what picture books are good for - continuing that playful inquiry we began in childhood, of using imagination to find significance and meaning in those ordinary, day-to-day experiences that might otherwise remain unnoticed. The lessons we learn from studying pictures and stories are best applied to a similar study of life in general - people, places, objects, emotions, ideas and the relationships between them all. At it’s most successful, fiction offers us devices for interpreting reality, and imagining how many such interpretations might be possible. Shaun Tan

No comments: