Friday, July 7, 2023

I Spy with my little eye by Edward Gibbs


I spied (pardon the pun) this book at a charity book sale this week. The text is very familiar but I was struck by the wonderful illustrations which are similar in style to Catherine Rayner or even Brian Wildsmith. 




My two books were inspired by playing the game I Spy as a child, and then with my own three children on car journeys when they were growing up. The idea of eyes and holes came to me while in bed in the middle of the night. I got up and did a little sketch on a folded piece of paper, and tore a little hole . . . it worked! ... The idea with the first I Spy was to go from the biggest animal in the world (the blue whale) to the smallest (it was going to be a fly) but that was a bit scary so we settled on the frog — who could have swallowed the fly! Candlewick

My copy of I Spy with my little eye is a large format picture book (reprinted here in Australia by Koala Books) but this is a title that could easily translate into a board book. The farm title is available as a board book. There are lots of book (thousands in fact) that explore animals and colour concepts so I think it is important to hunt out the best ones with fabulous art. I do hope you can find some of these books in your local library. 

Edward Gibbs is a UK illustrator and he also designs greeting cards. I Spy with my little eye is one book in a series. It was first published in 2011.






No comments: