Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Meet some special illustrators

Image source: Christine Roussey


My friend and I decided to compile a list of our favourite illustrators. If you have ever read her blog at Kinderbookswitheverything you will know she is a Teacher-Librarian with outstanding knowledge of books and authors and illustrators and ways of sharing these with students. Her list has over 100 names so I thought for this post I would list some that were either new to me or that I knew because the book covers were familiar, but I didn't know their name! The purple links will take you to the illustrator's own web page. 


Eliza Wheeler




Her newest book will be published in November - What Rosa Brought by Jacob Sager Weinstein illustrated by Eliza Wheeler. 

A picture book about a young Jewish girl fleeing Nazi occupation with her parents. Drawing on the childhood experiences of the author’s mother, this story of family, immigration, and identity shows the boundless power of love. Vienna, Austria, is the only home Rosa knows. While her parents work at their store, she plays with her grandmother, reads her favorite books, and climbs trees. But when the Nazis arrive in 1938, everything changes. Rosa’s family is Jewish, and the Nazis’ new laws make it dangerous for Jews to live in Vienna. Rosa’s parents can no longer run their store. Soon, some Jews decide to leave the country, and Rosa wants to go, too. But where would they go? And what would Rosa be able to bring with her?


Gianno Marino



Christine Roussey







Lauren Tobia



Jason Chin


Here is an interview with Jason Chin.  I read Watercress in a public library recently. I was with my friend from Kinderbookswitheverything. She started to talk to me when I finished reading but I just had to put up my hand to stop her. I needed a minute or two to process my deep emotional reaction to this award winning book. Sadly here in Australia Watercress costs almost Aus$40 so I am unlikely to find a copy in a school library. See inside some non fiction book illustrated by Jason Chin here


Chih-Yuan Chen 





Rafael Lopez






1 comment:

kinderbooks said...

Thank you. I still think they are illustrators to keep an eye out for.