Monday, December 24, 2018

A Letter to Father Christmas by Rose Impey and Sue Porter



Day 11
Charlotte loves to write, but since she cannot read, she just likes copy things written by other people - notes from the plumber, telephone messages, and shopping lists. As Christmas approaches she carefully copies the letter her mother writes to Father Christmas.



Dear Father Christmas
I am writing to tell you what I would like in my stocking. When you come to my house on Christmas Eve you mustn't look for me in my bedroom because Grandma and Grandad will be there. I will be in Ben's room (next to the bathroom). Ben is too small to write his own letter so I have put some things for him on my list. Also would you bring me a surprise? I like surprises best of all.
Lots of Love,
Miss Charlotte Ruth Hall x

There is a rush after the letter is done. Charlotte needs to get it into the envelope. She picks up a list thinking it is her Christmas list along with her letter and her father posts it up their chimney.  When Father Christmas reads the letter he admires the neat writing but the list puzzles him. "Why it looks more like somebody's shopping list,' he thought. And of course that's exactly what it was."

Bread
Carrots
Fish
Nuts
Hot water bottle

The day before Christmas is very cold and thick snow covers the area around the house. Charlotte is worried about the donkey who lives in the next field - she wishes she could bring him in out of the cold. She is worried about the cat. He looks hungry but Charlotte would be so sad if he ate the birds. The birds are hungry too and there are only a few berries left on the holly bushes.

Can you match each gift from the shopping list with her animal friends. The presents in her stocking are certainly a surprise but there is also a special gift for Charlotte - and it is perfect.

This is an old book - the newest copy was published in 1997 - but there are plenty of fairly cheap used copies still available. This book is also sure to be found in many school library collections.

Here are some other books with letters to Santa:






No comments: