Saturday, December 15, 2018

The puppy who wanted a boy by Jane Thayer illustrated by Lisa McCue



Here is another very old Christmas book. First published in 1958. I am amazed to say it is still in print (see below).  The copy I have is from 1985. When I picked it up I thought it might be the Christmas book from my childhood that I keep hoping it will find.  More about that in a minute.



A puppy tells his mum he wants a boy for Christmas. She tells him he must be good puppy and Petey does try very hard over the following weeks.  Sadly when the time comes his mum cannot find a boy so it seems Petey needs to take matters into his own hands so he sets off in search of a boy. Every boy he finds already has a dog and none of them are prepared to give their boy away. He asks a collie racing with a boy on a bicycle, a bulldog sitting in a car with a boy and a Scottie walking with his boy along the sidewalk.

"But he couldn't find a single boy who would give his boy away. Pete's ears began to droop. His tail grew limp. His little legs were very tired. (then) he saw a sign: HOME FOR BOYS."

This is a wonderful Christmas story for a young child with a heart-warming ending that will leave you with a huge smile of happiness just like the one on Petey's face.

As I mentioned there is a Christmas book I long to find it is also about a puppy. My memory is that all the puppies in the litter are given away at Christmas into various heroic roles such as working with the police and fire brigade. One puppy is left over. On Christmas morning a little boy finds this last puppy in his Christmas stocking. This was the perfect book for me - the child who longed to find that puppy in my own stocking. Does anyone know the title or author?  It would be a book from the 1960s.



Here is the original book from 1958 illustrated by Seymour Fleishman

Here is a review of The puppy who wanted a boy by Three Books a Night as part of her annual Christmas book celebration - this post comes from her selection of books mentioned in 2014.

No comments: