Friday, January 22, 2021

A New Green Day by Antoinette Portis


This book by Antoinette Portis contains a series of poetic riddles. Here are a few:

"Morning lays me on you pillow, an invitation, square and war. Come out and play!" (sunlight)

"I'm a sweet sucked smooth in the river's mouth. Let me roll in your pocket." (pebble)

"I'm a chorus of a million tiny voices. Come and splash in my song." (rain)

Blurb: "Over the course of a summer's day, voices from the natural world pose a series of riddles to a curious little girl and, so too, the reader."

This book would make a beautiful addition to a Primary School or Preschool library. In this video Antoinette talks about her book which she created many years ago during a picture book writing course. Here is a audio interview with Antoinette. You could use this book with a group of older students to explain or explore the use of page turning and a pace. Here is a set of teaching ideas from the publisher.

Simple, poetic, and fun. Kirkus

Here are some other books by Antoinette Portis:




With a group of older children I would pair this book with Leaf Stone Beetle.



No comments: