Sunday, January 10, 2021

Eight by Lyn Lee illustrated by Kim Gamble

 


I talked about Golden Threads a couple of days ago and I mentioned I do like books about lost toys - I know this is odd. Anyway, I realised I had previously mentioned Eight but I had not shared many details about this treasure. Eight was short listed for our CBCA Awards in 2007. The winner that year was Amy and Louis by Libby Gleeson illustrated by Freya Blackwood. 

Eight is an octopus toy. He is Timmy's best friend. They have been together forever. One day the family go on an outing to the National Park. Notice the placement of Eight watching the family.

"They sat on a blanket to eat chicken salad and sticky chocolate cake. Fat raindrops started to fall."


In their scramble to leave Eight is left behind. Timmy is so worried that night especially because he knows Eight is scared of thunderstorms. 


The next day everyone searches for Eight but without success. Luckily Timmy is resilient. He has a wonderful imagination.  He imagines Eight on a pirate ship travelling across the world and making heaps of new friends. He can see Eight riding on a camel, fishing for his supper and flying high in a hot air balloon. 


Over time Timmy grows bigger. One Sunday he goes for a walk with his father down to the mangroves. 

"The river washed up all sorts of interesting things."

Eight is found. He is washed and dried and all is well. And as for his new friends - wait until you see the final page - it is sure to make your young reading companion smile. 


Lyn Lee didn't write many books. I think she did only four, but she did have a talent for giving readers beautiful emotional moments. Her book Pog is one of my top ten picture books to read aloud. The late Kim Gamble is, on the other hand, the illustrator of many books including the Tashi Series, Minton Series, Our School Fete and The Magnificent Nose. The lucky children in my former school library have their very own Eight. My talented library assistant knitted him for our toy collection. I do hope he is still there enjoy heaps of library adventures.

No comments: