Monday, January 25, 2021

Dog on a Broomstick by Jan Page illustrated by Nick Price


Publisher blurb: "The countdown has started for the Grand Spell Contest and the Witch's cat has run off to be a cat-food tester! Then the Dog appears on her doorstep. He can't scratch, but he can dig big holes. He can't hiss and spit, but he can growl, dribble and cover everything is muddy pawprints. Will the Witch let the Dog help her at the Grand Spell Contest? And most importantly, can they both fit on her broomstick?"

Dog fans will love this easy, funny little illustrated chapter book. Dog's determination to be the perfect companion for the Witch reminded me of A Pet for Mrs Arbuckle. The crazy spells in the story reminded me of The Boy with two Shadows and The witch in the Cherry Tree both by Margaret Mahy.

I have discovered Jan Page wrote a sequel to Dog on a Broomstick - Dognapped!  I need to keep my eye out for a copy next time I go to a used book sale.


I was talking with a colleague who is new to the role in a school library. At the beginning of the year with Grade Two I like to introduce various easy chapter series such as Aussie Nibbles; Aussie Bites; Sprinters; Corgi Pups; Colour Puffins; and Solo stories.

This little gem if from the Corgi Pups series. It is out of print but you are sure to find some school libraries have copies of books from the Corgi Pups series.

Here are some other Corgi Pup titles:







Corgi Pups were first published around 1997. In 2013 some of the titles were reissued as Colour First Readers:



Nick Price is the illustrator of another series that I really adore - perfect to read aloud. There are six books in the Tumtum and Nutmeg series.  They are out of print but are sure to be found in most school library collections:

No comments: