Saturday, September 4, 2021

Exit through the gift shop by Maryam Master illustrated by Astred Hicks



"Have you ever been to the zoo? Or a museum? Or any kind of amusement park? If the answer is yes, then you'll know what I'm talking about. The only way out is through the gift shop. Whether you like it or not! ... life kind of works in the same way. When you're on your way out, you are forced to look at gifts you would ordinarily bypass."

My name is Anahita Rosalind Ghorban-Galaszczuk but you can call me Ana. My best friend is Alexander Aaron Afu but everyone calls him Al. By the way by the end of this book you will want to hug Al - he is the bestest best friend ever. 

According to the doctor, Ana has about a year left. She has cancer (non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma). Yes that is a problem but really there's nothing she can do about that and really it is her other problem that is far more pressing - Alyssa Anderson - bully extraordinaire. 

In raw, honest, direct, authentic and often funny revelations, Ana shares with readers her final year of life. Yes I did say funny because Ana adds all of these crazy word definitions into her story. This is truly her story - we are reading it as she writes it. Here are a couple of her definitions to show you what I mean:

Nemesis (nem-uh-sis) Noun

A long-standing rival; an arch enemy, a foe, someone who makes your life so hellish that you'd rather listen to the Frozen soundtrack on loop for the rest of your life than have to deal with her ever again.

Poking the bear Colloquial expression

Doing something that may provoke a negative response from someone. Obviously poling a bear is not a smart move. That beast ain't gonna like it. At best she'll growl in your fact to express her anger and at worst, she'll hunt you down and eat you. She'll start by biting off your head and swallowing it whole, then she'll chow down on your limbs one by one and finish up by using your hair to floss her teeth. My top tip for the day: do not, I repeat, do NOT poke bears. Especially ones with flowing blonde hair and perfect teeth.

I recommend you grab a cup of Persian tea (see page 114) and settle down to read this book. You will most probably want to read the whole thing in one sitting. Please don't worry about being sad. I am someone who cries over nothing and I didn't cry so I am sure you will be fine. I actually predicted the truth about Alyssa but I won't spoil things here by saying more. 

This is a beautifully written book, exploring one young girl’s journey of facing her own death. She does confront her own mortality through the story so whilst it is deep content it is written with so much humour, joy and love, that you will remember this book long after you put it down. It is a truly joyous affirmation to make the most of everyday and to be the best person you can. Lamont Standing Order

Maryam Master has done a wonderful job of capturing not just the hard graft and fear about a terminal cancer diagnosis, but also the love and joy and crazy wonder about living and not giving up, even when facing death. NZ Book Lovers

Ana's voice bursts from the page and the reader has no choice but to be pulled into her world.  Kids' Book Review (note I disagree with ages 8-12)

Ana is very down to earth and philosophical. She has accepted her fate and is ready to make the most of the time that she has. She has quite a sense of humour and her story is written in a dramatic (comedic) way with lots of big bold words and sketches on the pages. Book Girl

My favourite bookseller from Beachside Bookshop gifted me Exit through the gift shop recently when I expressed an interest in reading this book which has a very quirky title. Now that I have finished it I sought out some reviews and once again I am in shock.  No let me say that again I am in SHOCK.  This is a book, my opinion for a mature reader aged 11+ and if asked for a category I would say this is a YA novel. And yet, once again I read that it is recommended (by one well respected reviewer) as suitable for 8-12. I shudder and shake my head. Then I read another reviewer who said 12+  and one of the standing order services here in Australian has put this book into their secondary selection. So much confusion which is concerning when there is no way any book seller can read every book!

Maryam Master was born in Iran and she moved to Australia when she was nine. She is a screenwriter and has worked to adapt three David Walliams stories for the stage. Exit through the gift shop is her first novel. Here are a set of teachers notes. This book has cartoon illustrations and lots of graphic text features by Astred Hicks who works as a book designer. 

Here are some companion reads to go with Exit through the gift shop:








No comments: