Saturday, September 18, 2021

Tree houses in Picture Books and easy chapter books for young readers

 


A House for Wombats is probably my favourite tree house picture book and I would guess nearly every child in Australia has heard of the Tree House series by Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton which begins with the 13-Storey Treehouse.

Do you have a memory of your very own tree house? Perhaps you have one in your back yard now? These cute structures have always held a fascination for me even though I didn't actually have a tree house myself probably because we didn't have a suitable tree in our garden. I did have a terrific cubby house (under our house) and a wonderful "Indian" tent which afforded the kids in my neighbourhood tons of fun. If you want to read a terrific Australian book about a cubby house try to find Junk Castle by Robin Klein

Here is a poem to get this topic off to a good start and then I have put a few covers of picture books and junior novels which feature tree houses recently collected by my friend from Kinderbookswitheverything.

A tree house, a tree house,

A secret you and me house,

A high up in the leafy branches

Cozy as can be house.

A street house, a neat house,

Be sure and wipe your feet house

Is not my kind of house at all—

Let’s go live in a tree house.

Tree House by Shel Silverstein from the poetry book Sing a Song of Popcorn.






These two are the same - one is the Australian edition and the other the US cover with the different title Audrey's Tree House.




Illustration from Andrew Henry's Meadow







No comments: