Saturday, February 19, 2022

A Place to Stay: A shelter story by Erin Gunti illustrated by Esteli Meza


"This isn't a house," I whispered. 
"You know what?" Mama said.
"I think you're right. Looks more like a palace to me."

And so with beautiful twists of imagination Mama manages to turn this difficult day into an enchanting one. The playroom in the shelter becomes a treasure cave; the dull plain bedroom becomes rocket ship as Mama shows her daughter how to bounce high on the beds; dinner with crowds of strangers becomes a banquet hall; and even the cold shower transforms into a deep sea adventure.


You can see the whole book here. 

Take a look at my post about the United Nations Sustainability Development Goals where I share with you the splendid and comprehensive work done by my friend from Kinderbookswitheverything.  The first Sustainability Development Goal End poverty in all its forms everywhere. My friend also has a comprehensive Pinterest of picture books to use with your youngest students as you explore this important goal.

I will never forget the sadness I felt when a child (many many years ago) told me she could not return her library book because it had been left at the shelter. Another time I saw a mum, very late at night, holding the hands of two very young children, crossing a busy road, holding bags and piles of bedding. I will always wish I had stopped to offer help. There are children who sadly do experience moving into a shelter so this book could offer comfort but this is also a book for other children too who luckily may never have an experience like this little girl and her Mama. This book promotes empathy for others in a beautiful, gentle way. 

A comforting, accessible introduction to a not often discussed subject. Kirkus

Companion reads:











And for older readers I suggest you could read:

I mentioned Esteli Meza in a previous post about the book Peace by Baptiste Paul. 


No comments: