Sunday, February 13, 2022

February 14th Library Lovers' Day

 





Love in the Library by Jimmy Buffet

On the corner of Government and Bay Avenue

The old doomsday fanatic wore a crown of kudzu

Sirens where wailing in the gulf coastal heat

And it seemed like the whole world was in forced retreat

I paid no attention, revolved through the door

Passed the newspaper rack on the worn marble floor

Near civil war history my heart skipped a beat

She was standing on fiction stretched high on bare feet

Love in the library, quiet and cool

Love in the library, there are no rules

Surrounded by stories surreal and sublime

I fell in love in the library once upon a time

I was the pirate and she was the queen

Sir Francis and Elizabeth the best there's ever been

Then she strolled past my table and stopped at the stairs

Then sent me a smile as she reached for Flaubert

Love in the library, quiet and cool

Love in the library, there are no rules

Surrounded by stories surreal and sublime

I fell in love in the library once upon a time

She gathered her books, walked while she read

Words never spoken but so much was said

You can read all you want into this rendezvous

But it's safer than most things that lovers can do

Well stories have endings and fantasies fade

The guard by the door starts drawing the shade

So write your own ending and hope they come true

For the lovers and strangers on Bay Avenue

Love in the library, quiet and cool

Love in the library, there are no rules

Surrounded by stories surreal and sublime

I fell in love in the library once upon a time


Here is my post from 2020 celebrating Library Lovers Day.



The Library by Barbara A. Huff

It looks like any building

When you pass it on the street,

Made of stone and glass and marble,

Made of iron and concrete.

But once inside you can ride

A camel or a train,

Visit Rome, Siam, or Nome,

Feel a hurricane,

Meet a king, learn to sing,

How to bake a pie,

Go to sea, plant a tree,

Find how airplanes fly,

Train a horse, and of course

Have all the dogs you'd like,

See the moon, a sandy dune,

Or catch a whopping pike.

Everything that books can bring

You'll find inside those walls.

A world is there for you to share

When adventure calls.

You cannot tell its magic

By the way the building looks,

But there's wonderment within it,

The wonderment of books.

Read more about Libray Lovers' Day here. 






Sorry Miss Folio (this is the BEST book ever about libraries and librarians!)




















On special days like this I used to enjoy setting up small craft activities for the children to enjoy at lunc time.  Take a look at this Craft Lunch in the Library Pinterest with 465 ideas. I also have a Library Lovers' Day Pinterest with 48 ideas.  My friend from Kinderbookswitheverything has a Pinterest of books about libraries and today her blog has a post with love stories to share with your youngest students. 

IT HAPPENED ONE FRIDAY BY RUTH STREET

ARRIVED AT MY DESK: it was seven forty-five
In swarmed the kids like bees to a hive
All day they buzzed round me with questions so varied
Up down round and round. My beleaguered mind scurried.
"Who wrote LORNA DOONE?”  “Will you sign my green slip?
“I hate to miss school but my folks look a trip.”
“I need some material on foreign relations.”
“Do you have a book of familiar quotations?”
“I want to read SMOKY. Is it always out?”
“Will you kindly tell me what Main Street’s about?”
“What is a classic?” “May I borrow two pins?”
“Please tell us the time when the assembly begins.”
"May I go to my locker" "I want Mendel's laws"
"My topic's inflation-the effect and the cause.'
“I talked with a teacher, that's why I am late.”
“Just where do I look for the copyright date?”
"Will you find me one a picture of an evergreen tree”?
“I need an example of a good simile”
"Must I pay for this book? The cause was our pup:
Before I could grab it he chewed it up"
“Can you find for me a favourite poem?”
“I'm reciting a speech about school and the home.”
"For the last book you gave me I'm grateful to you
I liked it so much I made Mum read it too.”
“I need Emily Post or some etiquette.”
“Do you know the difference between sit and set?”
“We're having a party and want some new games”
“Bill Cody's checked out, do you have Jesse James?”
“Shakespeare is my topic; do you have him in here?”
“Just where is that play called NO MORE FRONTIER?”
“Why can't we whisper'? We're talking our lessons-
the UNO, its charter and sessions.”
“Does chromium begin with a C or a K?”
“My assignment for Tuesday is on TVA”
“Who was that old king so renowned for his wealth?”
“Debaters are here and our topic is health.”
“I can't find Poticelli, though I hunt and I hunt”
“We're the programme committee and need a good stunt”
“A diagram please of the lungs of a frog.”
“Why can't I find verbs in the card catalogue?”
“Sorry to disturb, didn't mean to talk so loud.”
“Will you find me a picture of a cumulus cloud?”
Without lull or surcease-six hours endless stream
I cudgelled my brain—I tried hard not to scream.
When the hands on the clock said three thirty-one.
Pronto they departed. I was left all alone.
The books scattered round me were in vast disarray.
I began to restore them the Dewey Decimal way. -
In walked a teacher fatigued with much care;
Wearily she sighed as she dropped to a chair.
“It's so peaceful in here, quiet, orderly too-
But how do you stand it with nothing to do?”



No comments: