Monday, February 14, 2022

Let me whisper you my story by Moya Simons



"I must be quiet. I could hear the thud of boots, Nazi boots, and voices laughing. Why did they laugh? I heard a soldier say 'There's one person missing from this list, a child called Rachel Schwarz. She wasn't with her parents. Her father said she'd gone to visit a friend down the road. Not likely. Search under the beds.'... Someone came into the kitchen. The cupboard door opened with a creak. ... The solider looking sideways at me, stared. 
(Then) suddenly the young man ... walked away. He had left me there."

Publisher blurb: Rachel is German, Jewish and lives in Leipzig just before the outbreak of WWII, with her doctor father, mother and older sister Annie. Life is comfortable, revolving around Sabbath meals shared with uncles, aunts and cousins. When the Nazis arrive, the family is 'relocated' elsewhere in the city, and then taken away to a labour camp. Rachel's father saves her by making her hide in a kitchen cupboard, forbidding her to speak. The damage is done. Rachel remains mute - for years - as a result. Rachel is discovered by a neighbour, Gertrude, who conceals her in her own home until Rachel is taken into care by the Red Cross and sent to an orphanage in England. But where are Rachel's family?

Let me Whisper you my story is a powerful novel written with a gripping immediacy as Rachel navigates the frightening times of World War II witnessing the power of Hitler.  Rachel has no voice that others can hear but we can hear her.  This book was published in 2010 and it is Australian but somehow I missed it. I am amazed to discover it is still in print. You might also find a copy in a school library. I do keep an eye out for books about World War II especially books which offer different perspectives. 

You can read a chapter sample from this book here

The publisher list this book for ages 9-13 but I would suggest a older reader aged 10+. Let me Whisper you my Story is the perfect next read for students in Year 6 or junior high school who have read any of the book series by Morris Gleitzman which begins with Once, or they have read or are curious about books like The Story of Anne Frank or perhaps they have read Hitlers Daughter by Jackie French or better yet, if they have read and enjoyed any of these:

 
















No comments: