Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Can I keep him? by Steven Kellog


Arnold would like a pet or a friend or just someone to talk to. This is such a relevant theme right now as I watch parents and other adults on their phones - and not interacting with their young children. Little Arnold even says to his mother:

"I'm lonely. Will you play with me?"

I would like to shake his mum who says:

"I'd like to, Arnold, but I'm busy. Why don't you run outside and play on the swing or ride your bike or dig in the sandbox."

Is mum truly busy? - NO she is just washing dishes (and in earlier scenes she is on the phone, dusting her house, cleaning the toilet, stacking cans of yams, and vacuuming). Some of these images might seem a little dated especially when we see her in her frilly apron - but looking past this I think this page alone - the one where she is washing the dishes -  could generate some terrific discussion with a class about the concepts of busy and time and loneliness and a possible alternate reactions/conversations between mum and Arnold.

Prior to this final scene Arnold has bought home a succession of pets. Some are the usual suspects - dog and cat. Then things get a little more exotic and creative- fawn, baby bear, tiger cub, and python. At every turn though, mum has a reason to say NO. Then Arnold brings home the best pet of all:

"In Alaska I saw a scientist chipping a dinosaur out of the ice. When the dinosaur defrosted, he was still alive. The museum didn't want a live dinosaur, so I bought him home. He doesn't bark, he has no fur, he has soft big feet, he doesn't shed ... "

This finally gets mum's attention. This reminded me of Not Now Bernard by David McKee - "When were you ever in Alaska? And who ever heard of a dinosaur for a pet?"

Arnold does not find a pet (or does he? Check out the final page) but he does find a friend - which was, as I said, the whole point really. 

I picked up this book from a library this week - they have a tub of wonderful books that have sadly been rarely or even never borrowed.  Can I keep him? is just delightful and it would be terrific to read to a class. Steven Kellogg has a very appealing art style and the little boy in this book has a wonderful range of facial expressions. The colours on the cover are used through out the book and alternate with sepia line drawings. I have previously talked about The Rattlebang Picnic also illustrated by Steven Kellogg. 

Our NSW Primary teachers have to teach specific forms of writing one of which is persuasion. Can I keep him? is a book that is sure to be found in many of our school libraries because it is a persuasive text even though it was written in 1971. Sadly, though it is now out of print. 

I have a Pinterest collection of picture books and other resources teachers can use for their learning activities when they are working on this text type. 

Here are some companion reads:













No comments: