Sunday, June 25, 2023

Meet the illustrator Antoinette Portis









Antoinette Portis is an award winning US author and illustrator. Antoinette made her picture-book debut with the New York Times best-selling Not A Box, an American Library Association Seuss Geisel Honor book, and one of the New York Times Ten Best Illustrated Books of the Year. She was a recipient of the 2010 Sendak Fellowship. 

I borrowed Now from a school library this week.  This library add a little sticker to their books if they are special favourites - they call them "Our Picks". I love this idea and always feel a little thrill when I borrow a book with one of those stickers.

Portis perfectly captures how children experience the world, the immediacy and magic of it all; exuberant and quiet, simple and complex, and extremely satisfying. Kirkus Star review

This is my favourite breeze.

This is my favourite leaf.

This is my favourite hole (this one) because it's the one I am digging.

This is my favourite mud. This is my favourite worm.

That is my favourite cloud because it's the one I am watching.

The structure of this text reads like a poem and in poetry every word is so carefully selected and placed. With young children you could use each page of this book as a discussion starter and with older children you could use this text as a model for writing. It would also be terrific to discuss the cover design - half the face on the front with the huge leaf and half when you stretch the book out.



I would pair this with another book by Antoinette Portis - Wait. 



No comments: