Thursday, June 8, 2023

Teatime by Tiffany Stone illustrated by Jori van der Linde

 


New authors should not attempt to write in rhyme - so often this can be simply dreadful - but when it is done well it can make a story sing. In this book the rhyme feels like a perfect little poem. It also matches the lightness of the two little, slightly unconventional, fairy friends.


Here is part of the rhyme:

"Please join me in a cup of tea.

There's lots of room, as you can see.

It's not too hot and nice and deep.

So climb right in or take a leap - right off the diving board.

The milky depth lie unexplored."

I picked out this book in a library for three reasons: I like the cover; it is a Canadian picture book and the name of the illustrator intrigued me. I now discover Jori van der Linde is from Vancouver while the author Tiffany Stone is from Maple Ridge in British Columbia.

If you have young reading fans who like to read books about fairies this one is well worth finding because the fairies (as I ready said) are quite unconventional and one is a boy and one is a girl! The story feels a little reminiscent of The Borrowers.  If you want to find more books about tea and tea drinking take a look at this post from my friend at Kinderbookswitheverything.

No comments: