Tuesday, March 26, 2024

I am Nefertiti by Annemarie Anang illustrated by Natelle Quek


This is a book that should be shared with new teachers. It is SO important to acknowledge any child in your class or care by using and pronouncing their name correctly. I am Nefertiti is a US book but these issues also apply here in our Multicultural community. I work as a volunteer in a Sydney children's hospital and I find the names of the children so interesting mainly because in all of my former schools we only had very small multicultural representation. I also well remember when I had a student at one of my schools with the Welsh name Myfanwy. 

Nefertiti is a beautiful name but I guess it is not one you hear often except in reference to that famous Egyptian queen from long ago but that does not excuse the ignorant teacher in this book. Nefertiti is a terrific drummer. She joins the class band but when the teacher shortens her name to Nef her confidence and sparkle shrink. 

"Every time (the teacher) chanted Nef, Nefertiti shrank. She shrank and shrank, until she was jus the size of your thumb."

Luckily one of the kids in the band understands what has happened and she tells Miss Potts to say Nefertiti's full name - and to say it loudly and confidently.


I am Nefertiti is a title from the Empathy Lab collection of 2024. You can see the author reading her book here. 

Here is an interview with the illustrator Natelle Quek.

I am Nefertiti is a heartwarming, joyful story for everyone about identity, being proud of who you are, whatever your ethnicity and culture, belonging within a diverse community and about recognising the importance each player has in the bigger team. It is an ideal story for classroom discussions in Early Years and KS1, book group settings and at home around the themes of identify, self-confidence and peer support. It’s an important reminder about the importance of people’s names and identity. Perfect for younger children aged 3-6 years with appealing illustrations by Natalie Quek, I Am Nefertiti is a charming story about celebrating our names and identities and having the confidence to speak out about feelings. Just Imagine

Companion books:




No comments: