Wednesday, March 6, 2024

What do you do with a Chance? by Kobi Yamada illustrated by Mae Besom



"I thought about it a lot. I wished I had taken my chance. 
I realized I had wanted it,
but I still didn't know if I had the courage."

"I promised myself that if I ever got another chance,
I wasn't going to hold back. If I got another chance,
I was going to be ready."


I've seen these books on lists and in library displays but it has taken me until now to pick up a book by Kobi Yamada to read. I am blown away!

When I was younger, I took more chances but with age, I have become way more cautious and at times even fearful. I wonder does experience make you braver or the opposite - filling your head with ideas of what might go wrong. These are deep questions and demonstrate that the What do you do with a chance? is one for all ages - young children up to adults. You might like to preview this book from this gentle video reading. 

"So what do you do with a chance? You take it ... 
because it just might be the start of something incredible."

After I read the book aloud, I don’t need to go through a long justification of why picture books work well in middle and high schools. What I like about this series is that each book is different from the other two. They overlap in their conceptualization and they all are remarkable choices for the instruction of symbolism and creating writing–but they all teach very different, big ideas. Unleashing Readers

Through the use of color, the watercolor-and-pencil illustrations vividly accentuate the contrast between the drabness of a risk-free life and the brilliant intensity of one fully lived.  Kirkus

Here is an interview with Kobi Yamada

What do you do with a Chance? is the third book in the series. What you do Matters is the three book set:


All our Australian school libraries - Primary and High school - should add these books to their collections.

Our Australian illustrator Elise Hurst is now illustrating books written by Kobi Yamada - how wonderful. 

No comments: