Thursday, December 12, 2019

View from the 32nd Floor by Emma Cameron




This is my second reading and second post about this utterly splendid middle grade novel. I wish the publisher, Walker Books, would consider a reprint with a better cover - I'm sure the cover (which in my view is not very appealing)  is why this book did not receive the attention it deserved. I was visiting Beachside Bookshop last weekend and I spied The View from the 32nd Floor. Actually I have seen it there on previous visits.  This gem of a book has been waiting for a new home since December 2016. Did you know you can often see the date a book arrives in a store on the price sticker? As you have guessed this shop copy now has a new home with me!

I originally talked about this book in 2013 and when I read my comments from then nothing has changed.  Reading this book all over again was just a joy. I did predict this book would be short listed by our CBCA - sadly this did not happen but The View from the 32nd Floor did make the notable list which means it should be in most Australian Primary school libraries - I certainly hope you can find it. I think it is still in print too.

Here are some excellent teaches notes produced by Walker Books. The best part of these notes, in my view, is that you will find a list of all the music that William hears each morning. In my first post I mentioned William's dad sets up some music for William to enjoy each morning over breakfast. I adore this idea.


Page 13: Up on the Roof by Carol King or The Drifters
Page 45: Forever Young by Bob Dylan
Page 51: What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong
Page 67: That’s Just the Way It Is by Bruce Hornsby
Page 71: Comes a Time by Neil Young
Page 91: Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel
Page 103: I Can See Clearly Now by Johnny Nash, Jimmy Cliff or Bob Marley
Page 111: Clean Up Time by John Lennon
Page 116: I Could Have Danced All Night from My Fair Lady
Page 121: From Big Things Little Things Grow by Paul Kelly
Page 123: I Like to Move It by Sacha Baron Cohen from Madagascar
Page 126: Dance With Me by Orleans

I should also mention there is so much delicious food in this book:

"Mrs Stavros ... opened the fridge. 'I give this one to you.' She offered a long tray that held three small pastry triangles. William did not want to be rude so he chose one. The sweet gooey insides tasted of magic and he felt as though his brain might float away."

Read these beautiful words from the author Emma Cameron:


1 comment:

Emma said...

Thanks Momo,
I love that you love how William's dad sets up a song for him to start each day with. It's something i used in the story to show that even if readers don't hear the character of Dad speaking to his son about what's going happening, he knows exactly what's going on in his son's life.
Glad that you love this book so much.
Emma