Tuesday, December 31, 2019

The Year in Review

2019 Books I loved reading!

This is my final post for 2019. I thought I would review the books I have talked about and list my favourites from each month. This year I blogged 272 books and I probably read around 600 or even more. I read new titles, older books which are possibly out of print, picture books, early chapter books (I constantly hunt for these), middle grade and senior primary novels. I especially love to read books from around the world alongside books published here. We are so lucky here in Australia to have access to books from USA, UK, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa and also books which somehow by luck or design are translated into English. My goal for 2020 is to reach 2000 reviews (2008-2020). Not sure if I will get there but I plan to try.

January
I am so happy to list a book from South Africa - we don't see enough of these here in Australia. A Good Day for Climbing Trees by Jaco Jacobs was such a delightful surprise. A story about activism but also a story about loss told with poignancy.



February
How High the Moon by Karyn Parsons is a book from the US for mature readers. The setting is 1944 but this is an important story for our present times.



March
In March I read Sonam and the Silence by Eddie Ayres. I still puzzle and fume as to why the CBCA did not short list this book for our Australian Picture book award. In March I also enjoyed Raising Readers by Megan Daley - the perfect gift for new parents and essential reading for all teachers.



April
I have read Time stops for No Mouse by Michael Hoeye three times in 2001, 2012 and again this year.  It seems impossible to have a top 5 or 10 or 50 but Time Stops for No Mouse belongs at the top of any list of books for Middle Grade readers.



May
Sorry I cannot list just one book. I adored these three - The Little Wave by Pip Harry; Boot: Small Robot big Adventure by Shane Hegarty ; and Pie in the Sky by Remi Lai.




June
This is a perfect Australian Middle Grade novel and a book that is sure to be short listed for our CBCA awards - Vincent and the Grandest Hotel on Earth by Lisa Nicol. I long to stay at this hotel!



July
Another month with some wonderful titles but I am going to list Detention by Tristan Bancks. Scenes from this book still linger with me.



August
I cannot pick one book for August - I just cannot do this. In August I read No Ballet Shoes in Syria by Catherine Bruton; The Bridge Home by Padma Venkatraman (possibly my book of the year); and The Suitcase by Chris Naylor-Ballerstros.





September
This was the month I read Beverly Right Here by Kate DiCamillo which I loved and Teacher by Gabi Stroud which moved me to tears but I am going to list a picture book as my favourite of the month - Fly by Jess McGeachin.



October
My pick for October is a beautiful Australian picture book Mallee Sky by Jodi Toering illustrated by Tannya Harricks.



November
I read some wonderful books in November but the stand out title is The Eleventh Trade by Alyssa Hollingsworth.



December
My days were filled with Christmas books galore but by far my favourite was a older book that I revisited - The View from the 32nd Floor by Emma Cameron.


Happy Reading
Happy New Year
Hope to "see you" in 2020 
when I will share 
more wonderful books

No comments: