Saturday, December 14, 2019

The Tree that's meant to be by Yuval Zommer




I am the tree that's meant to be

Sadly this tree does not seem destined to be cut down and taken to a home as a Christmas tree. This is what the tree desires but surely staying in the forest is a much better option - a way to stay alive.  "... it was plain to see that I was never, ever going to be a perfect, grown-up tree. I branched a bit to the left and too much to the right, and didn't really focus on my height."

The little tree stands tall through the seasons and watches as other trees are selected at Christmas.

"Alone. I shivered, I shuddered. I i-i-i-is anyone there? I stuttered into the night."

The forest animals hear the tree crying. The gather beautiful decorations from the forest floor - leaves, acorns and feathers. The tree is transformed and then, in a magical moment, a star seems to land in the top of the tree and everything looks completely perfect.

This is a brand new book published in 2019. I would pair this book with The Silver Christmas Tree by Pat Hutchins which was published in 1974 - one of my all time favourite Christmas books. These two books have so much in common including the arrival of a star to top off the tree in the forest.



The Tree that's meant to be is the first book in my Christmas series - twelve books of Christmas. Watch my blog over the coming days for many more Christmas books - probably more than just twelve. Yuval Zommer has some other wonderful books which I recommend you find and explore. The cover design of The Tree that's meant to be is perfect. It is so tactile. The lettering and tree itself are embossed and there is just the right amount of glitter so the book can sparkle. Here is the illustration from the last page:


Why not continue reading about about special Christmas trees? This would be a beautiful theme to explore with a young child.







No comments: