Thursday, April 30, 2020

Happy by Nicola Edwards illustrated by Katie Hickey



Happy is a children's book of mindfulness.  Each page contains a topic, a rhyme and a suggestion or question accompanied with joyous and colourful illustrations. While I do like the text of this book - the rhyming parts, I especially love the illustrations.

Topics: Listening, Feeling, Relaxing, Tasting, Touching, Discovering, Smelling, Loving, Appreciating, Breathing, Happiness

Rhyming text - here are two examples of pages I liked:

Touching
Touch calms the wildest emotions,
We connect to the world all around,
When we dip out toes into the ocean
Or crunch crisp golden leaves on the ground.

Appreciating
It feels good to give thanks at the day's end
For the pink blushing sky overhead,
A hot meal, comfy shoes or a good friend,
And the warmth of a soft cosy bed.





A fine resource for sharing moments of mindfulness, empathy, and reflection with young children. Kirkus


Here are some additional Mindfulness books to explore from Megan Daley.

I talked about another book by Nicola Edwards here recently - Goodnight World.


I love the illustration style in this book so I have added a Christmas book illustrated by Katie Hickey to my ever expanding shopping list.


Here is a Christmas Lighthouse illustrated by Katie Hickey for an art challenge in 2017.



I am also very keen to see this book by Nicola Edwards:


1 comment:

kinderbooks said...

What a Word is wonderful, but unfortunately I didn't read this till after I got home so didn't bring it home to give you. Sorry.