Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Tomie dePaola (1934-2020)



I was sad to read yesterday that Tomie dePaola had died.  In 1994 I bought my little Strega Nona doll because I am a huge fan of this series. She has traveled to my schools and lived in various classrooms over the years. There are more than fifteen books with the character Strega Nona.





Along with the Strega Nona books I also love Oliver Button is a Sissy.



Tomie wrote over 270 books.  You can listen to Tomie talking about his books here - The Children's Book podcast - where he discusses one of his newest titles - Quiet. Make sure you listen right to the end and around the 40 min mark you will hear Tomie talk about the state of children's book illustrations today and the way many books all look the same.  Here is a final quote from this podcast "I wish (for) children to be happy and to read a lot" - Tomie dePaola.


Here are the first two books he illustrated back in 1965.




I also found a  Brightly (Penguin Random House) interview with Tomie where he talks about his early art experiences and shares his advice to young artists. To understand more about Tomie take a look at his book Tom and his book The Art Lesson.



Here are some of my favourite books by Tomie dePaola.







No comments: