Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Geisel Award - some titles to explore



Today I was reading The Watermelon Seed by Greg Pizzoli - such fun! It got me thinking about past winners and honor books from the Geisel award.  Here are some I have read and enjoyed.  I am always keen to find very simple books with a satisfying story and that is exactly the purpose of this award. The Watermelon Seed was the winner in 2014. I am pleased there is an award that celebrates books in this important category.

2006 Henry and Mudge and the Great Grandpas


2007 Honor Book Mercy Watson goes for a ride  (Leroy Ninker Saddles up review)


2008 There is a bird on your head


2009 Are you ready to play outside?



2010 Honor Book Mouse and Mole: Fine feathered friends


2011 Honor Book Ling and Ting: not exactly the same!



2012 Tales for Very picky Eaters


2013 Honor Book Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover


2014 Honor Book Penny and her Marble


2015 Honor Book Mr Putter and Tabby Turn the page (Mr Putter series)



2016 Honor Book Waiting



2018 Charlie and Mouse



2020 Honor Book Flubby is NOT a good pet



On my to read list I have added the 2017, 2019 and 2020 winners:




Back to The Watermelon Seed.  Crocodile loves, loves, loves watermelon. He gobbles it up all day and night - breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert. Everything is going along really well until the day he swallows a seed! His anxiety is hilarious:

"It's growing in my guts!
Soon vines will come out of my ears!
My stomach will stretch!
My skin will turn pink!"

Luckily the seed does come out via a burp - but will this fellow ever want to eat a watermelon ever again?

You will see the talented Greg Pizzoli has three winners and honor books on the Geisel award list - The Watermelon Seed; The Book Hog; and Good night Owl.


1 comment:

kinderbooks said...

The first two are in the library, the third was ordered but hasn't come.