Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Little Robot Alone by Patricia MacLachlan and Emily MacLachlan Charest illustrated by Matt Phelan




Meet Little Robot with his toaster head, tractor shoes and perfectly positioned light blub.

This book asks to read aloud because it invites you to sing. The text in green are the songs sung each day by the little robot:

One by one, tight and strong, rolling strolling all day long.
Zippty zappity, crickety crackets, hum hum hum
Oats with oozy oil are yummy, slipping slowly down my tummy.




Little Robot has his daily routines and he lives in a very pretty place but "he felt alone." Thinking about this, Little Robot has a "light bulb moment" and discovers a solution to his problem. He gets to work with his tools and, with patience and perseverance, he creates a very special friend - Little Dog. I love the moment with the pup (remember he is a robot too) licks the metal cheek of his new friend Little Robot.

I would pair this book with Norton and Alpha.



What a joy - a picture book by one of my favourite authors - Patricia MacLachlan written with her daughter Emily. Reading, in 1985 and again several times over the last decades, Sarah, Plain and Tall Patricia MacLachlan's very famous book is a pivotal text in my reading life and set me on the path to a lifetime of enjoyment in children's books.

You can read about other books by Patricia MacLachlan on this blog: Sarah, Plain and TallWaiting for the MagicThe Truth of MeWhite Fur FlyingJust DanceFly AwayThe Poet's Dog.

Patricia MacLachlan also has some newer books which I need to add to my "to read" list:





1 comment:

kinderbooks said...

I'll bring home Chicken Talk. Put it on the list for Thursday.