Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Fox the Tiger by Corey R Tabor


Fox has found a book to read. It is a book about a tiger.



Fox knows tigers are sneaky, fast and big.Tigers are great! Fox decides to transform himself into a tiger! His friends can see through the disguise BUT they decide to join in too with this game of imagination. Turtle becomes a race car; and Rabbit becomes a robot. BUT then it starts to rain. Thank goodness for Squirrel and his wise words. Oh the there is a brilliant wordless twist on the last page which will give everyone a laugh.

A few weeks ago I talked about the Geisel Award and I mentioned that I hoped to read some recent winners. In 2019 the winner was Fox the Tiger. This is a terrific book for newly independent readers or to read aloud. Listen to these brilliant words - I prowl and growl; I zip and zoom; I beep bop boop.


I would pair Fox the Tiger with this old book - The Tale of Tiki Tiger by Teri Wiltshire. This book holds a special place in my heart because I have used this book with preschool children for over 15 years in the term before they come to "big school". It is the perfect text because it contains a fold out surprise and because it has the repeated refrain "I'm doing something extra special today."  On the day of their visit to our school the preschool children used to begin in the school library, my huge tiger toy would be hiding in my library bag ready to lick the nearest child and following their morning visit to the library the children would then be taken to visit classrooms, the playground and the computer room - "something special today".



Here is an interview with Corey where he talks about his work. You can see some of his joyous illustrations here.

I now discover there are other books about Fox and in November another book will be published with the title Fox versus Winter.





No comments: