Friday, August 4, 2023

Generosity - using picture books to explore this topic

-





"I’m looking for picture books with the theme of generosity"

This question was posed on a Facebook forum this morning. Over 190 people responded with ideas so I thought it might be a good idea to collate some of their suggestions. 

The most mentioned and most controversial title that came up over and over again was The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein but it not a book that appeals to me at all. Many respondents also mentioned The Rainbow Fish but I found this book very odd when I re-read it recently so it would not be one that I could recommend. 

One person also suggested look at books by Jory John - these are terrific. I need to re-read all them with a different lens and think about generosity.


I am fairly sure the question came from someone in the US and clearly most of the answers were from the US too so no one mentioned Rose meets Mr Wintergarten by Bob Graham or the international title The Little Night Cat. Tonight I also thought of Little Robin Red Vest and In a Cloud of Dust.  On the post thread I listed Shelter and The Biscuit Maker. 

Here are some I have talked about or read previously with the theme of generosity:


Shelter- every every library should own this book





















Here are some that you might have predicted:





Here are some I plan to read:






No comments: