Saturday, August 5, 2023

The Eyes and the Impossible by Dave Eggers





Dave Eggers makes it clear from the first sentence that our story narrator is a dog. 

"I turn I turn I turn before I lie to sleep and rise before the Sun."

This is confirmed in the second paragraph:

"I am a dog called Johannes and I have seen you. I have seen you in this park, my home. If you have come to this park, my vast green windblown park by the sea, I have seen you."

This park is a wild environment but it is also a place frequented by humans for all sorts of activities many of which are a mystery to Johannes and his friends. Living in the park, behind a high fence, there are three Bison. I guess they are there as a draw-card for visitors but Johannes and the other animals know Freya, Meredith and Samuel are really the Keepers of the Equilibrium. Johannes is a free dog, a wild dog which means he can roam around the park. He has the important job of the Eyes reporting on all the park activities to the Bison. His friends are Bertrand a huge seagull; Sonja a squirrel; Yolanda a pelican; and Angus a raccoon. This team are the Assistant Eyes. All of them report to the Johannes and he then talks to Freya, Meredith and Samuel. Each of the animal characters has a very distinct personality. 

Yoland "like all pelicans, prefers to fly low low over the water, inches above the surface of the water. Yolanda also happens to be the only one among us who can read human written language, a gift she wear lightly."

Sonja "has a habit of showing up without saying hello, as if she's barged in on a private meeting. She's been on of the Assistants coming meet us on our rock, for probably six hundred years, so we cannot understand this, the way she persists with this initial shyness. She is missing an  eye, and the easy answer would be that this missing eye, lost in a fight with a crow, has caused her reticence."

Things are changing in the park. It is not exactly specified but I gathered the new building is an art gallery. The problem is, Johannes finds the art mesmerising and this means he puts himself in danger from the park authorities and the control-the-animals-people. Johannes is captured but it is by some hippies. This is a terrifying scene and a heroic rescue. Then a huge herd goats arrive to clear a large area of spiky weeds. His capture has made Johannes think about freedom and so he makes the huge decision to set the Bison free. This will take a huge team effort and while it seems completely impossible the outcome is sure to surprise you.

I held my breath when I looked to see IF Betsy Bird had read this book and then to see if she loved it as much as I did - YES she sure did! Here is an extract but please read her whole review - it is, as usual, eloquent and perfect. "You will find a thoroughly well-written, occasionally touching, funny, strange little book that sticks both its landing and in your memory. "

A confident writer that is confident for good reason is deeply satisfying. ... I devoured this book in a single sitting and would reread it happily if asked to do so, which I cannot say for every kids book I pick up. It’s the writing, man. It dares to be better, but doesn’t lose young readers along the way. There’s excitement and goats and near drownings and ridiculous disguises. It’s a legitimately fun book that soaked itself in great writing and isn’t afraid to show that writing off. I don’t know if it has what it takes to become a massive hit. I don’t know if other adult gatekeepers will agree with me on what it is doing (and how well). Fuse 8 SLJ Betsy Bird

There is a deeper story here, too, about being yourself and finding freedom. It is hinted at in the natural beauty of the deluxe version of the book, with its solid-wood front and back covers, and in Shawn Harris’s sublime illustrations. New York Times

Listen to an audio sample from the first chapter here. And the trailer is here. I highly recommend you share this trailer with a group of students when you introduce this wonderful book. More review comments here

One of the aspects of this writing that I found utterly delicious were the brilliant words and phrases used by Dave Eggers. Here are some examples: odorous, reticence, gravitas, all the hassles inherent in highly concentrated humanity, partake, maniacal, enumerate, privy to our deliberations and  judgements, sutured, paragon of valour, and validity. 

This book would be a perfect read aloud to a Grade 5 or 6 class. I wish I could, right now, put this book into the hands of a skilled teacher. This book is also perfect for animal lovers and readers who enjoy exploring a different perspective. In some ways this is a moving and serious story but there are so many quietly funny moments such as the way Johannes has absolutely no idea about numbers which means he exaggerates every time he talks about time or about the number of creatures in the park, especially the goats. Oh, and there is also the running joke about ducks and loons. 

Read this description of trucks that have a reversing beep - it will show you the way Dave Eggers adds touches of humour to his story and I am guessing he also dislikes this sound:

"And here I should say that of all the horrible things human have created, the most maniacal and wrong of them all is this, this intermittent screaming sound as their vehicles go backward. All of life stops when the screaming begins. All beauty ends, all music ends, clouds cleave, hearts break, and all of the world nearby waits, with breath held, for the sound to end. Nothing can be done during this mechanical wailing. No thinking, no eating, no running, no living."

And this one of the goats:

"The way they were eating the weeds was chilling. Would they eat us too? They seemed like vegetarians, but how could we be sure? There were so many of them. A thousand? A million? They could disappear the five of us in seconds."

There are two covers at the top of this post. The one that looks like wood is actually wood! and that is the one I bought. It also has gold embossed silky page edges and rich coloured art based illustrations.  This is the most expensive middle grade book I have ever bought at AUS$50 but it sure was worth it. The cover intrigued me and the Kirkus review convinced me and today, in one huge gulp, I read the whole book of 249 pages. 

Bison are such fascinating beasts. When I lived in Alberta there were several in a paddock near the town and very occasionally I would see them from my car. 

Betsy Bird said many people are not fans of animal books but this is not true for me. I did cry in Charlotte's Web but I also loved every word and similarly The Underneath is a book that moved me so profoundly - I have read it twice. Once you have read, and YES you must read The Eyes and the Impossible - head off to your library and try to find these:












No comments: