Sunday, November 21, 2021

A is for Salad by Mike Lester


A is for Salad; B is for Viking; C is for hot dog.  What is going on here? My favourite pages are D is for remote control and "X and Y are not important letters. Never use them." Here are two more pages.



I am beginning to collect Alphabet books for an IBBY talk which I will present with Dr Robin Morrow next year.  Yesterday I visited a wonderful vintage book shop - Love Vintage Books in Willoughby here in Sydney, NSW.  Entering a store like this is a magical experience for a book worm like me. In a short time it is easy to become absorbed in exploring the shelves which are packed with treasures.  

Naturally I always head to the children's books. I did spy The Youngest Omnibus which I mentioned a couple of days ago and some copies of the little Red Nose Readers by Alan Ahlberg but the book I purchased was this one - A is for Salad published in 2000. I love the title and a quick read in the store showed me this would be a great book to share with a child - so many laughs.

My copy of A is for Salad is a hardback one but I think the paperback Picture Puffin might still be available.

Publisher blurb: A is for what? A is for salad, and B is for Viking. Welcome to the wacky world of Mike Lester, where nothing is as it seems. Is A really for salad, or is it for the alligator eating a bowl of mixed greens? And maybe B is for the beaver wearing a Viking helmet. You'll have to look twice to figure out what each letter really stands for in this irreverent alphabet book. Learning your ABCs has never been so much F-U-N.

Just in case you need a little help the final end paper has a list of the other possibilities. Perhaps K is also for Kangaroo; U is also for Unicorn; and W is also for Walrus.

No comments: