Monday, November 15, 2021

Picture Book Month Day 15


When I arrived in my final school library, having worked previously in four other schools, I explained to the children that I was working among all my friends - so many of my favourite books were in this library - books I had read and collected in my previous schools. One of these, was Felix and Alexander. When I left that school many years later I was sad to say goodbye to my students and colleagues but even more I felt a sad that I was leaving behind so my loved books (my friends which I had selected, covered, read, shelved and shared). This is why I now have some of these extra special gems in my own collection including Felix and Alexander. 

Felix and Alexander was first published in 1985 which by coincidence was my first year of working in a school library and it won the CBCA Picture Book of the Year award in 1986 which was the first year I explored the CBCA short listed titles in great depth with groups of students.  Terry Denton has moved on now to huge fame and fortune with his Storey Treehouse series but Felix and Alexander was one of his first books and I just adore the art style he used in this book which is very different to his more recent creations. You can see this art style his other earlier titles - Night Noises by Mem Fox, Ducky's Nest by Gillian Rubinstein, At the Cafe Splendid and The Story of Imelda who was Small. I long to find a copy of Imelda by Morris Lurie - it is the book at the top of my 'to find' list. 



There is a lightness of touch in the text of Felix and Alexander. I have read this book aloud over and over again and it makes me smile every time. 

How do we know Felix is more than just a toy?

"Felix was Alexander's best friend and always laughed at Alexander's jokes."

How do we know Felix truly is a best friend?

"Felix would sit up at the window, waiting for Alexander to return. ... One afternoon Alexander did not return home from his walk at his usual time. Felix waited and waited and became very worried."

How do we know Felix is brave?

"He packed his torch into his suitcase and went out to look for Alexander."

Just listen, and read aloud, these beautiful words which describe the stuffing that is leaking out of Felix - pale pink pearls. And these words which describe their night time journey: "Through the dark and endless streets they walked, the torchlight their only guide."

When you share this book with a young child you could also talk about the way the story links with Hansel and Gretel and if your young reading companion has not heard this famous fairy tale it might be time to add that story to your reading pile too. 

No comments: