Sunday, November 14, 2021

Picture Book Month Day 14

 


I am so lucky to visit a magical school library every week. Why is this place especially magical - aren't all libraries magical places? This one has every ingredient that the best school library should contain.  A wonderful, passionate, and wise Teacher-Librarian. An enormous collection of the very best books from around the world which have been collected over many years. Books that are maintained in the very best condition - none look old or worn out which is something I marvel over. In addition, this library is stuffed full full full of book toys. The youngest patrons can borrow a book and also a matching toy character or animal. I think there might be over a thousand soft toys and plushies in their collection. AND the library I am describing is designed especially for children aged 3-8 and so it is filled to the brim with thousands and thousands of picture books! The staff work hard every day of every week to create a deliciously inviting environment where books are displayed on every available surface. When I go there I just want to move in, snuggle down and read!

My book today, Day 14 of Picture Book Month, is one I originally spied in their collection. The staff were unsure if this book might be better placed in another library on their school campus. I do think this book could be shared with children aged 7+ but the staff did decide to place it in their Primary school library.  As for me - I love this book so much I decided I just had to add a copy to my own shelves. My copy is a hardback but the paperback is now available for a really good price so I do suggest you consider adding this book to your own school library or even to you own book shelves. 



Ride the Wind was published in 2020. If you know someone who thinks they might like to write a picture book, I suggest you might show them Ride the Wind. This book has all the elements that should be included in an exemplary picture book: an appealing cover design which catches our eye and invites closer study; end papers which are different front and back and which add to your interpretation of the story; beautiful art which is used throughout; full spread, one page, and vignette illustrations; and perfectly paced page turns. BUT the most important aspect of this book is the powerful emotional message it contains and the way the author, Nicola Davies, takes her readers through the tensions between the father and son, the sadness of their loss and then onto the beautiful moment of release when the father reaches out to hold his son and is able to express the depth of his love for his precious boy.

Further reading:

10 tips for evaluating Picture Books

David Mackintosh's to ten illustration and design tips

Good versus bad in Picture books  : In the best picture books, you feel as if you are witnessing a finely choreographed dance between the words and the illustrations. The illustrations help to drive the story forward, pulling the reader through the page turns, making them eager to know what will happen next. 


No comments: