Saturday, November 13, 2021

Picture Book Month Day 13


 Featured author - Martin Waddell

I almost impossible to select my favourite Martin Waddell book. I have read Owl Babies to so many groups of Kindergarten children for twenty-five years and it is one of my "go to books" when I gift books to a new baby. Then there is The Tough Princess which was the book that inspired my Masters degree thesis topic - 'The Modern Fairy Tale'.  I also love the quiet stories of The Hidden House and The Big Big Sea. The Park in the Dark is always my suggestion when little children request a 'scary story' in the library and Farmer Duck is such a terrific book to read aloud, but I have decided to select Can't you sleep Little Bear illustrated by Barbara Firth. I love the patience of Big Bear and the beautiful wisdom he uses to help Little Bear overcome his fear of the dark. When I shared this book in my library I even had a lantern with a tiny tea light candle! And I own a sweet little 3D play book based on this text.


 

Waddell's charming narration has the grace and economy of old nursery tales. Using frames of mellow slate blue, Firth sets her pencil and watercolor illustrations beneath gentle arches that suggest the cave's interior, comfortably accommodating the text among vignettes and larger spreads. ...  there are delightful domestic details to explore, but the bears are best of all. Perfect for bedtime, or anytime.  Kirkus

Here are the other books in the series. Many are now out of print but I am sure you will find copies in a library and these books also often turn up at charity shops and charity book sales:






No comments: