Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Picture Book Month Day 23


The book I am sharing today is a very obscure one and yes it is out of print because it was published in 1986 but I wanted to include it here because this book is such a terrific read aloud. It just begs to have you use your different voices for Herbert Binns himself - a kind, creative and wise mouse - and his enemies - McTabbity, Zip and Measly. I love those names and the name of the community of Field Edge.



I wrote about Herbert Binns and the Flying Tricycle in 2010. It is interesting to see the way my posts have become longer and more detailed over time. My blog started in 2008 and here I am still going strong 23 years later. 


These days I always check to see if the author and illustrator have web pages, I read reviews, and I look for additional materials such as videos; teacher notes; and interviews. You can see the whole story here. The music track is a little distracting but you will be able to see the text and art. I suggest viewing full screen without sound. I do like the pace of this recording. 

Caroline Castle is also the author of these terrific titles which are absolutely perfect for preschoolers. There are four and again I am sad to say they are all out of print - Happy, Gorgeous, Funny, and Naughty.



Her work is also showcased in this book which should be in EVERY school library:


I now discover Caroline Castle and Peter Weeves collaborated on another title too:

No comments: