Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Picture Book Month Day 24



"One night bear looked up at the sky and thought, wouldn't it be nice 
to give the moon a birthday present."


Happy Birthday Moon is my book today for Picture Book Month and, well yes, today it is actually Happy Birthday to me too!  Happy Birthday Moon was first published in 1982. It is one book from the series about Moonbear by Frank Asch. I even own the toy! AND yes you can still buy some books from this series although the paperback editions are a little expensive here in Australia.





I have read Happy Birthday Moon to hundreds of Kindergarten children. Most listeners do catch on to the echo early in the story but I delight in watching other children gradually work out the magic in this book. On the nights when we have a full moon (I can see this out of my kitchen window) I often have a little chat with the moon just as Moonbear does in this story.  I love his kind spirit and his generous efforts to give the moon exactly the right birthday gift. This book is simply perfect to read aloud to children aged 3+.


No comments: