Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Picture Book Month Day 10


It is day ten - so I am one third of the way through my thirty picture books. Today my featured book has no words. YES I said no words. I do hope you are familiar with this form of storytelling. Some people call these books 'textless' while IBBY use the term Silent Books. The name we might apply to these books is quite problematic because these books do contain stories so in a way they are not textless - the text is just expressed in a different way through the pictures and these stories can be noisy, emotional, complex and powerful - not exactly 'silent'.

Read more about Wordless books:

Seven Reasons Why Wordless Picture Books are so Powerful

How to read Wordless Picture Books - Parent tips

IBBY Silent Books Project Lampedusa

There are so many Wordless books or Silent books I could add here for my month long picture book celebration but I decided to share Stormy: A story about finding a forever home, which was a recent discovery as I prepared a talk for IBBY Australia. I have over 200 others in this Pinterest Collection. Stormy is the perfect book to share with your young reading companion especially if they love dogs. The patience shown by the young girl as she works to gain the trust of this lost pup and her gentle kindness towards her new friend is sure to melt your heart. This is a book to own, to treasure and to enjoy with each re-reading. AND there is a wonderful surprise under the dust jacket!



No comments: